[Wikipedia-l] Why do we have them??

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 02:22:44 UTC 2005

Hi all,
I have a question: why do we have separate Wikipedias for Malay and Indonesian?

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differences_between_Malay_and_Indonesian
, "The differences between Malay (Bahasa Melayu) and Indonesian
(Bahasa Indonesia) are comparable to the those between British English
and American English."

If this is the case, then why does our policy on English differ so
sharply than our policy with Malay/Indonesian?

Don't people realise that we're dividing labour? If they had
col-laborated on a single Wikipedia from the very beginning, the
Malay/Indonesian Wikipedia would probably have at least 15k articles
by now.

Mark

--
SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM