[Wikipedia-l] Re: you do not have to be positive

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:28:49 UTC 2005

Hoi,
Even though there is nothing in what I wrote to Ray privately that I
could not or would not write publicly, I object to his publishing my
mail to him publicly to the list. It is in my mind extremely rude to
publish this. The reason why I mailed him privately is because there is
no point in continuing this conversation on the list. There is nothing
new being said. It is a waste of time for people on this list.

I wrote Ray to make sure that he knows that THIS is the time to
cooperate on the ideas of the UW. When he waits untill the UW has been
programmed, all the decisions will have been made and there will be
technically little left room to change it. That will be the time when we
will start populating UW with data. Ray's insistence to wait untill it
is too late is totally unproductive. His arguments are not constructive
as they do not point to anything that would improve what UW may be/ may
do. This is found in his use of words like "hyperbolic" or "hidden agenda".

When I say that new people will join us in the UW, he sees it as proof
of a hidden agenda. Wake up Ray, on the agenda IS the functionality of
UW. Some people can see what is in front of their eyes. When the GFDL is
a hindrance for adding functionality of our projects, the WMF has a
history of taking that into account. Wikinews is not GFDL because it
prevents WN from having the functionality that it wants. At this time
there are functionalities for the UW where the GFDL is a handicap. This
leaves two options: forgo the funcionality or work on the license. As
the UW does not have any data yet, the time to have finished this
discussion is clear: the start of including data in the UW or the moment
that Ray would start to have his first look.

Ray's understanding of Dutch schools is 100% wrong. Almost all schools
are state funded. For parents it makes almost no difference what school
they send their children to. Schools are obligated to take all children.
There is no room for "intelligent design" in the Dutch secondary
schools; evolution and genetics are part of the Biology curriculum.

To conclude: my apologies to the list. I had hoped to have continued
this conversation off-line. And as to Mark, I have mailed him privately
on more than one occassion. The only excuse I have to post it is that it
gives me the opportunity to explain that this is the time to become
involved in what UW will be. When the UW is life it will be time to get
involved in what UW has become.

Thanks,
    GerardM