[Wikipedia-l] Re: you do not have to be positive

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 22 08:47:45 UTC 2005

Gerard saw fit to send these comments privately.  In the spirit if
wiki-openness I thought it best to reply publicly.  There is nothing in
my views about his proposals that cannot be discussed in the open.

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Ray,
> I would like to know what you hope to achieve with the rubbishing you
> are doing of the Ultimate Wiktionary.

Since when are honest comments "rubbishing"

> It has a huge potential and the only way I can categorise your
> "contributions" is as a FUD treatment. I would really like you to use
> arguments. I would really like to know what you hope to achieve this
> way. The way you make me feel is that I am some shady car dealer that
> is waiting for this 1000th carsale that will make him his bonus.

You said it. :-)   I can't see how my comments could be anything but
arguments in the sense that you apparently mean.

> Lucky for me I know better. I do appreciate what Erik is doing, we
> both realise that our reputation will suffer when we do not come up
> with some goods. I am sure that the initial UW will not have all the
> trimmings.

Nothing to debate there.

> That does not take away from the basic fact that the UW will have a
> better usability than any of the Wiktionaries ever will. It will,
> because the functionality is built with synergy and community in the
> forefront of what it is about and it will because it is meant to host
> lexicological content.

This is pure speculation.  I leave myself open to that possibility, but
I'll keep on with what I'm doing until there's something to judge.
Certainly I'm not going to fall in line with your hyperbolic confidence
about the future of UW without seeing it.  I can easily see the value of
a project that ties the different Wiktionaries together, but I cannot be
so credulous as to believe that it will be so great as to inspire
everyone to abandon what they are doing to work with your project.

> The argument about communities of Mark Williamson is silly, the
> wikimedia community does evolve and, the community that is growing
> around the Ultimate Wiktionary will be different from any of the
> Wikimedia communities.

Since you have mentioned Mark, it is only fitting that I should forward
a copy of these comments directly to him.  I have in the past objected
to some of his points of view, but such comments have always been to him
rather than around him.  If you think that he is being silly tell him
about it, not me.

> Many new people will make it their own, people who have no background
> in Wikipedia, people that do not think a Wiki is the best thing there is.

So there's more to your project than the Wiki community!  You have in
the past made it clear that you would like the GFDL replaced.  If, just
for example, someone were contemplating a fork compliance with that
licence could be an embarassment.

> People who are very much aware of what language technology is. People
> with a solid reputation outside the Wikimedia world.

Am I supposed to be impressed by these statements?  Or is there a hidden
agenda?  A company that funds educational research in the Netherlands
does so in a completely different environment than in most countries
given that Holland has by far the greatest proportion of privatization
of schools in the world.

> I hope that you will become part of the UW crowd. It is as always your
> choise...

Of course it's my choice, and I will certainly be willing to look at UW
objectively ... when it is released to the public.

Ec