[Wikipedia-l] How to avoid naming conflicts with commons?

Marco Krohn marco.krohn at web.de
Mon Jun 20 15:31:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

a moment ago I found that the article

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera

contains a big OS X (tiger) image. First I thought that this is a joke, but
then I discovered that it seems just to be a mistake, but one I do not know
how to avoid efficiently.

The Panthera article contains a link to Image:Tiger.jpg which is loaded from
commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Tiger.jpg). Yesterday user
WikiED uploaded an image Tiger.jpg with the Mac OS X to _en.wikipedia.org_.
version of that image and by that the article now shows a different image (of
course without showing anything on my watchlist).

As user WikiED probably does not know about commons he probably did not know
that his upload caused problems in several articles. Is there anything one
can do about avoiding such problems, e.g. is it possible to force a load from
commons? Something like commons:Image:Tiger.jpg unfortunately does not seem
to work. Also in the upload form it would be helpful to get a warning about a
potential naming conflict.

best regards,
  Marco