[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wiktionary-l] Article on LISA

Guaka guaka at no-log.org
Mon Jun 20 14:19:32 UTC 2005

> Relevant is the realisation that the current Wiktionaries are as closed
> as any proprietary content. This means that the only medium in which
> Wiktionary is relevant is within an Internet-browser. To improve this
> will make us closer to realising the objectives of the Wikimedia
> Foundation. This is why we should publish in XML specific to dictionary
> content or why we should publish in .dict format or RFC 2229. This will
> not happen with content in the current format and as such it is a dead end.

No true, at least, what you say about DICT. With wik2dict you can
convert any Wiktionary (or Wikipedia) into DICT. However, it's very true
that it's hard to make a specific DICT. It would be cool to be able to
quickly create a bilingual translation DICT from the Wiktionary
information. Now, _that_ would be somewhat harder to do at present.

I've actually found someone who did a dictionary thingy for Java phones.
He's gonna release it under the GPL. I'm in touch with him - the thing
is still not running on my Sony Ericsson. I found him because I googled
for wik2dict :) I hope to get the thing running, and the source code
compiling, so that I can play with Wikipedia on my phone - without using
too many proprietary stuff (except for the phone firmware itself,
Symbian OS, Java...).