[Wikipedia-l] Article validation probably won't be switched on for 1.5

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Jun 19 11:37:14 UTC 2005

Unfortunately, unless a lot of good coding happens in reasonably short
order, Special:Validate probably won't be enabled on en: for 1.5 (to be
released next weekend). Brion has serious concerns with the present code.

This is quite annoying, but oh well. Interested PHP coders needed!
Or it stays in limbo!

We appear to have worked out a front end for the initial test, though -
[[m:En validation topics]] has been more or less stable for the last two
weeks. The [[m:Wikimedia research team]] IRC meeting last night was
productive also; I'll be putting some stuff from it on the article
validation pages on Meta and discussing further with Magnus (who wrote the
feature).

([[m:De Validierungsthemen]] has been stable a lot longer, but is also a
lot shorter and simpler. I'm somewhat surprised the de: quality initiative
hasn't jumped on it with great glee ...)

I know several other Wikipedias are waiting to see how the test goes on en:
(and presumably de:). I also think this feature will be vastly popular in
non-Wikimedia installations of MediaWiki. If we can write it so it doesn't
kill the system ;-)

- d.

----- Forwarded message from Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> -----