[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wiktionary-l] Article on LISA

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Sat Jun 18 06:41:25 UTC 2005

James R. Johnson wrote:

>Also, if you do it for Wiktionary, it would only be logical to merge all
>wikipedias into the Ultimate Wikipedia, Ultimate Wikiquote, Ultimate
>Wikibooks, etc.  But that's simply for consistency's sake.
>

>James

No, this does not make sense - witktionary is very different in its
contents. But it makes sense to link between from these projects to UW
(or now Wiktionary) and from there to the projects. We already do this
partly. Often it is important that you can see how a word is used in
context and sometimes it is good if within a text you have a link to the
definition of a word, in particular if you are talking about very
specific things that could be difficult to understand for others.

Language courses on Wikibooks for example are a logical way to link from
the book to wiktionary/UW and add defintions and translations there.

Of course, thinking about translations in literature we often need
quotations and how they are translated - it would make sense to have
quotations and/or proverbs translated in as many languages as possible.
So this could be a use for wikidata.

Ciao, Sabine