[Wikipedia-l] probably one of the most remarkable Wikipedians to date...

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:27:33 UTC 2005

I should add that monitoring recent changes on small and inactive
Wikipedias, I was initially very skeptical of your plans and figured
that they would be unfruitful.

Although it took a while since when you first posted the information
about possible payment for articles, you have shown me to be wrong on
this subject and for that I am very happy.

An issue I have, though, is: how many speakers of Bamana and Fulfulde
have access to the internet, to actually read these articles? How many
even have access to a computer? I know that the hope is that at some
point in the future, more people will be able to read these articles,
but shouldn't their very creation go hand-in-hand with wider
disemination of internet technologies in Mali, Nigeria, Burkina Faso,
Guinea...? I know there has been some activity to install the internet
at local radio stations, but what about the non-broadcasting public,
the plebes? If somebody could set up some sort of "free net-cafe" in
Bamako, with time-limits to prevent one person from using the computer
all the time, and offer classes in how to operate computers, I'm sure
that would help.

Mark