[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Scheduled global downtime

Kate Turner keturner at livejournal.com
Wed Jun 8 10:48:04 UTC 2005

Pavol Cupka wrote in gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc:

> Hi,

> Why not include all languages that would translate the error message?
> Is it really that much of a performance hog?

for something as trivial as the downtime page, which is mostly static
content with some translated strings, i don't think it should be a problem.
yesterday, we served the downtime page for every wiki from a single server
(dual 2.2GHz Opteron) with about 15% CPU load.

> Could also maybe a rewrite role be applied for example when someone
> tries to reach

> sk.wikipedia.org he would get sk.wikipedia.org/?lang=sk and so on for
> other langs with fall back to en

currently it uses the Accept-Language to decide what language to serve.  if
that isn't specified, or is "en", it should be possible to use the Host
header to decide the language... i'll have a look at implementing that.

kate.