[Wikipedia-l] Re: www.biography.ms is illegally using Wikipedia content

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:43:38 UTC 2005

Hi Ant,

I actually encounter this problem a lot more.

This is presumably because more of the topics I search for have a
Wikipedia article but not a lot of other sites about them, or other
sites with low pagerank on Google.

Since of course there are so many verbatim copies of en.wikipedia, a
search on "yonaguni language" on Google will leave you almost
exclusively with copies of the same few pages on en:, although it may
or may not include two separate pages on Wikitravel (brand new), and
some pages from my blog.

Mark

On 07/06/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Funny that you mention it. Yesterday, I was looking for an old pdf
> version of Donella Meadows work. Had a hard time finding it because all
> what was on the net about her was copies of the wikipedia articles (mine
> in good part, so this was not what I was looking for). One of the most
> proeminent copy was precisely this website.
>
> It was also one of the first time I regretted articles existed in
> wikipedia... because I could not find the original paper I was looking
> for, because the web was so much infested by the wikipedia articles...
>
> I suddently regretted Google was not able to distinguish that all the
> articles were the same, and hidding other articles which are unique, but
> simply less visible. I actually wonder if this is not a bit problematic.
> It looks as if the search system was not able to handle this properly
> any more.
>
> Ant
>
> PS : I must not forget to add the pdf link to the article so I can find
> it next time.
>
> Maury Markowitz a écrit:
> > I was doing a little googling this morning while the wiki was down, and
> > came across a reference to a site, www.biography.ms.
> >
> > The entire site is simply a bad scraping of the wikipedia, with all
> > attributions removed.
> >
> > Maury

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE