[Wikipedia-l] Steve Jobs on Wikipedia

Bernd Kulawik bernd.kulawik at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 8 03:49:22 UTC 2005

Hello,

today I watched the video stream of the keynote Apple's CEO Steve
Jobs yesterday morning gave in San Francisco at Apple's World Wide
Developers Conference because I wanted to hear what he really said
about Apple's switch to Intel processors. Before that, Jobs mentioned
10 so-called Dashboard widgets, small programs for different purposes
that are part of Apple's new version of its operating system OS X
(version 10.4, called "Tiger"), -  among them also a Wikipedia widget
which looks up any article fast without opening a browser window - of
course, you'll need an internet connection for the search.
Though the fact has been mentioned on wikinews already, I found at
interesting that this short hint on the Wikipedia widget was not only
longer than the others, but also reveiled Jobs' high estimation of
Wikipedia:

Quote:

"This is a favourite of mine: Wikipedia. For those of you who don't
know: This is an Open Source encyclopedia where everybody contributes
to it. It has now become one of the most robust and certainly
accurate encyclopedias in the world because you got experts from all
over the world contributing to it. And we just look up "tiger" in
here, and you get the low-down (?) on all kinds of tigers. So that's
Wikipedia and it's great."

Maybe I made some mistake in understanding or spelling ... but the
fact remains that one of the most important important people in the
IT sector - whose visions had a great influence on the way we are
using computers today - calls Wikipedia "great" and his favourite. -
I like that :-)

Ciao

Bernd