[Wikipedia-l] Scheduled global downtime

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jun 7 06:18:53 UTC 2005

ultrablue at gmail.com wrote:
> If you're setting up a downtime page on the Paris squids, I recommend
> not including a link to Openfacts.berlios.de. Every time Wikipedia has
> even a mild downtime (i.e. about 3 minutes or less) that site gets
> overwhelmed and goes down itself. I don't think it's fair on whoever
> owns that site.

Hehehe... :)

> I also recommend making any downtime error page generated
> multilingual, by consulting the people in the other language IRC
> channels. If I wasn't studying for exams I'd do that myself.

Here's a preview of the downtime page Kate's been throwing together:
http://fuchsia.knams.wikimedia.org/

If you've got additional translations, please e-mail them to me directly
or pop in at #wikimedia-tech on irc.freenode.net; the mailing lists will
probably be down during the downtime.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)