[Wikipedia-l] Scheduled global downtime

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jun 6 12:24:12 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:
> What I wonder is, in moves like this, why are they all moved at the
> same time? Why not move half, and then after we get _those_ up and
> running again move the other half?

Well, this involves other difficulties and complexities and potentially
much more extended downtime.  (And potentially, no actual downtime but a
period of extreme slowness.)

It was a difficult decision as to which to do, but I chose the "fast
move all at once option" after a consideration of time and resources and
difficulty on the volunteer admins.

In this case, all the volunteer admins need to do is be around when we
bring things back up.  Ideally, nothing should need to be done -- the
machines will all be unchanged in configuration, our ip numbers will be
routed to the new cage, everything should be identical.

Of course, nothing like this is ever ideal, and we should expect
catastrophe.

--Jimbo