[Wikipedia-l] Re: URGENT: blocking open proxies

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sat Jun 4 22:11:35 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Brion regularly sends complaint letters to apparently relevant
> parties. The success rate is not very confidence-inspiring. A
> significant number of providers *just don't care*.

Then make them care. Hack something into MediaWiki that allows us to
display a pre-set message to non-logged-in users with certain IPs or
within certain IP ranges. Use that to encourage users who are forced
behind an open proxy to switch provider, implicitly mumbling something
about their management. Keep telling the providers that we're actively
doing this to their users. When they start losing customers, they will
start caring.

Timwi