[Wikipedia-l] Re: GFDL Clarification

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sat Jun 4 15:08:42 UTC 2005

Phil Boswell wrote:
> "Timwi" <timwi at gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:d7ajq0$887$1 at sea.gmane.org...
>
>>Quite to the contrary, you only asked if the image could be used on
>>Wikipedia, not whether they would license it under the GFDL or anything
>>else. Therefore, they only agreed to using it on Wikipedia, and therefore
>>it should not be used on Wikipedia because it isn't free.
>
> Am I the only person stunned by the complete lack of logical progression
> here?
>
> A) The owners of the image agreed for it to be used on Wikipedia
> B) Therefore it can't be.

Suppose I write an article and then allow you to "use it" on Wikipedia
under the restriction that you may not make any modifications to it.  It
is hopefully clear to you now that the text cannot be used in Wikipedia,
even though I gave permission to "use it".

It is only your summarisation that reduces it to the point where it
seems contradictory (but isn't actually). Just because someone agreed
for something to be used on Wikipedia, does not necessarily mean that it
can be (or should be) used on Wikipedia.  In a way, by saying that it is
contradictory, you're only stating that you don't understand it.

Timwi