[Wikipedia-l] Re: Jimbo interview on NPR Friday?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 04:29:35 UTC 2005

Hi Ant

The "quickly integrated" kids you speak of aren't actually integrated so well.

Although most have at least a "satisfactory" command of English, they
prefer Spanish in all contexts, and at schools the Spanish-speaking
kids tend to have a separate social life than the English-speaking
kids, even though most of the Spanish-speaking kids are fluent in
English as well.

As far as the internet, if you go to "teen central" at the Burton Barr
branch of the Phoenix Public Library (4th floor I think?), you will
see that a good percentage of the kids are browsing the internet in
Spanish, mostly checking e-mail at yahoo.com.mx (Mexican Yahoo!)
though sometimes doing other things.

I'm guessing that if they wanted to use Wikipedia, they would use the
Spanish version if they knew it existed, although in a school context
they might use English instead (sociolinguistic reasons: Spanish is,
in many ways, seen by kids as not OK for any usage inside the
classroom, so they will often use English even if there are two
versions available).

Mark
(In Tucson right now)

On 26/05/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nod. Most of your arguments are valid to me.
>
> But, reading them, I thought of asking a question.
>

>  > 4.  Most Americans live in a very, very large contiguous span of
>  > English-speaking regions.  There is little or no need for most US
>  > citizens to ever speak another language in day to day life.  While this
>  > may or may not be a bad thing, it is a true thing nonetheless, and that
>  > being the case I'm not surprised if US citizens tend to pay little
>  > attention to matters that involve other languages most of the time.  The
>  > same cannot be said so easily of other languages (with a couple of
>  > notable exceptions, perhaps): Europe, for instance, consists of a large
>  > number of countries, many of whom have their own associated languages
>  > largely distinct from the languages of their neighbors, and yet much of
>  > Europe would fit within the borders of one of the larger states in the
>  > US.  This forces a certain amount of multilingual awareness on
>  > Europeans, whereas the opposite tends to be true of Americans, pretty
>  > much through no fault of their own.
>
> Since you are focusing more on an american perspective, though english
> is the only official language in the usa, many more or less recent
> immigrants only poorly manage english.
>
> When I lived in Arizona, I was in the part of the city most inhabited by
>   teachers and students, as it was the city where the university was
> located (Tempe).
>
> However, I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time in two other
> cities located in the south and east, essentially because the medical
> center and the children care center was located in east (Mesa) and the
> hospital in the south (Chandler, where my son finally born).
>
> Admittedly, most cheap clothes and most cheap cars were also in Mesa,
> which is also why it was a key area for me :-)
>
> However, what was striking is that most of this area was inhabited by
> mexican immigrants, some legal and some illegal; and many of them did
> not manage english well, or even not at all, as they only recently came in.
>
> I particularly remember supermarkets entirely in spanish (which was easy
> to manage for me), but also a supermarket entirely in chinese near my
> appartment (which was much harder to manage :-)).
>
> I went to a church in that area as well, it was a bit different approach
> from the way we usually practice religion in France, but it was better
> than nothing (I am catholic). Many catholics there were from Mexico or
> San Salvador. And some of the meetings were in spanish to address their
> needs. The church also organised some courses for them, to try to help
> them manage better in english (sort of adult courses of english).
>
> Most of those families listened to radio station in spanish or watched
> tv in english. The kids got integrated amazingly quickly thanks to
> school (french people would do well to understand how americans can
> integrate immigrants so quickly), but it was much tougher for adults and
> [...]

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE