[Wikipedia-l] Probably faked article in 57(!) languages

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 06:02:06 UTC 2005

Moin Michael,

Unfortunately, many of those languages don't have sysops who can
delete the page.

On some Wikipedias where it was already deleted, someone re-created it
today with just an image.

I deleted it for the second time on nv.wiki.

Mark

On 29/08/05, Michael Holzt <kju-wp at fqdn.org> wrote:
> In the german Wikipedia we came accross the article
> [[de:The_Flowers_Of_Romance]].
>
> While there was a band of this name in the seventies, the article is being
> used to promote a newly founded band from Estonia which does not seem to
> have any relation to the original band. Most edits of the article are from
> an IP in Estonia.
>
> Interestingly enough the article has been (more or less) translated into
> 57 languages:
>
> 11:55, 26. Jul 2005 Palica K (interwiki Ergänze: tl, lv, ro, th, rm, pl, no,
> nn, nl, la, pt, lb, ru, tr, gd, io, ar, ga, ee, gl, id, cs, eo, el, es, eu,
> an, ca, it, iu, vi, bn, sh, ur, ast, ks, sl, ku, ms, chr, yi, se, nah, sr,
> oc, hi, hu, bs, bg, sk, fi, ang, br, uk, hr, ht)
>
> This seems very fishy and i believe someone is playing a bad game with
> Wikipedia and most language version have fallen for it (until now).
>
> At least in the german wikipedia there is also an article about the alleged
> front man of the band: [[de:Tony Blackplait]]. It seems that all the facts
> mentioned in the article (like films) are fabricated, and when searching for
> that name in google all that came up are other Wikis (where the name has for
> example been included into an article about Sid Vicious) and mostly wikipedia
> copies. You might want to check for similiar fake articles in other
> languages.
>
> So i would like to make you aware of this. You might want to check the facts
> for yourself and maybe delete the article from the various languages.
>
> As it seems this article has been classified as a hoax (and deleted)
> earlier in the englisch wikipedia, see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Votes_for_deletion/The_Flowers_Of_Romance
>
> In the meanwhile the article has been recreated in the english wikipedia,
> see [[en:The Flowers of Romance (band 2)]].
>

> Regards
> Michael
>
> --
>       It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE