[Wikipedia-l] Re: What links here?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 02:12:25 UTC 2005

I have copied the text of your blog entry here for the convenience of
those who would rather read it on-list:

Cormac Lawler invented a simple but interesting wikimetric method to
measure the importance of different guidelines in a Wiki community:
Just count the number of links to it! That's citation analysis isn't
it? :-) Well, you don't really measure the importance but the number
of times Wikipedians refer to a specific rule. Here is how to do it:

   1. Select a site and "What links here", for instance
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Whatlinkshere/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view
   2. Select "500″
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Whatlinkshere&target=Wikipedia%3ANeutral_point_of_view&limit=500&offset=0
   3. Modify the the URL "offset=0″ to different higher values until
the "next 500″ link disapears but the list of pages not (you have to
play around a bit) - you can also browse with prev/next 500 link
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Whatlinkshere&target=Wikipedia%3ANeutral_point_of_view&limit=500&offset=0&offset=10500
   4. Switch to smaller number than 500 and browse to the end
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Whatlinkshere&target=Wikipedia%3ANeutral_point_of_view&limit=20&offset=10660
   5. Have a look at the URL and add the offset plus the number of
pages in the list:
   6. 10660 + 2 = 10662 pages linking to Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view

That's it. You can also change the limit=500 value to jump higher steps.

I just counted 5600 links to Wikipedia:Wikiquette. So beeing friendly
is half as important as beeing right, isn't it? ;-)

Assume_good_faith is linked 1188 times and Be bold in updating pages
9174 (all numbers determinded only some minutes ago - remember
Wikipedia grows fast)

Let me know your results with other guidelines! You can also compare
relativ numbers between different languages.

On 23/08/05, Jakob Voss <jakob.voss at nichtich.de> wrote:
> Cormac Lawler wrote:
>
> > Is there a Kate's tools-like way of counting the number of pages that
> > link to any given page through the "What links here" function? This
> > would be useful to see which policy pages are most often cited, for
> > example.
> >
> > Oh, and I mean a *simple* tool for a technologically simple guy like me.
>
> That's a very interesting idea! I just posted an answer to my blog:
> http://wm.sieheauch.de/?p=19
>
> Greetings,
> Jakob

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE