[Wikipedia-l] Poll so far

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 01:47:06 UTC 2005

Hi all,

The current results of the poll on Sinitic linguistic policy at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal_for_Sinitic_linguistic_policy
:

25 support - 6 oppose (overall)

Some people expressed support or lack thereof for other
Sinitic-language Wikipedias, mostly Wu, Hakka, and Classical Chinese.

The voting instructions say that if you only want to support one of
them, but not the others, you should note it with your vote.

I don't know if people followed these instructions exactly, but if they did:

One person explicitly supported Cantonese and Wu but didn't support
Hakka, making the balance for Hakka:

24 support - 7 oppose.

One person who voted in the "oppose" section, noted that although they
are opposed to Wikipedias in Cantonese, Wu, and Hakka, they support a
Wikipedia in Classical Chinese.

I would like to close with a quote from that page from Jogloran, which
to me indicates the true nessecity for these Wikipedias:

"And one more thing. My mother tongue is Cantonese, not Mandarin, not
'Chinese', but specifically Cantonese. When I read through the sample
articles in Cantonese linked above, I was struck by how much clearer
it was to my mind. When I read a text written in standard language, it
takes a little longer for the exact meaning to become apparent."

Cheers
Mark