[Wikipedia-l] Pennsylvania German Wikipedia?

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 14:11:26 UTC 2005

A good rule of thumb for 'enough people' is five people interested in
maintaining it, each of whom is somewhat familiar with the language,
and at least one of whom is well versed in it.

I assume you know some Pennsylvania Dutch yourself?

--SJ, reminded of an HL Mencken book from the early 20th century that
went over the major dialects in the US and their vocabulary quirks in
surprising detail.  (If you know the one I'm talking about, please
remind me of its title)

On 8/14/05, Jtkiefer <jtkiefer at wordzen.net> wrote:
> Josh Campfield wrote:
>
> >I wrote last year sometime about the possibility of adding a wikipedia
> >in Pennsylvania German/Pennsylvania Dutch. You said discuss it on the
> >Village Pump. I just put a message out on there asking what do other
> >people think. Pending what they say, what do you think about doing
> >this? It's a rapidly dying language, and besides perhaps helping to
> >revive it, the Wikipedia would have the distinction of being the first
> >encyclopedia ever published in Pennsylvania German. The ISO 3-letter
> >code is pdc.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Josh Campfield
> >joshcampfield at gmail.com
> >

> It's an interesting idea but I don't think you'd be able to find enough
> people willing to add to it, edit it, and maintain it.
>

> -Jtkiefer

++SJ