[Wikipedia-l] Bizarre vandalism at Cherokee Wikipedia by 217.44.22.219

Boris Lohnzweiger BorisLohnzweiger at web.de
Wed Aug 3 19:56:46 UTC 2005

I think this type of hassle could be avoided to a great extent if people would concentrate on contributing to Wikipedias in languages they master. Nobody without a sufficient command of Cherokee would ever dare to think of writing a book in that language. Yet, the wiki system fools some (or many?) people into thinking they can provide a sensible contribution in foreign languages where they wouldn't be able to make the most basic conversation.

I am aware that in most cases this is done well-meaningly. Many small wikipedias are in a pitiful state and often show virtually no development. This tempts many editors (especially those with a weakness for languages) to provide "development aid". However, the result is often simply embarrassing. Moreover, such benevolent activities might even cause the exact opposite as Wikipedias written in a mishmash of deficient and foreign language will keep any native speakers (potential future contributors !) from using them.

Boris