[Wikipedia-l] Bizarre vandalism at Cherokee Wikipedia by 217.44.22.219

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 02:25:28 UTC 2005

Ros, this doesn't strike me as vandalism.

I've done similar things before, although not to the same degree (I
haven't nominated mainpages, or pages which were partly in the right
language).

However, even those parts of this which strike me as being a bit
extreme, I am sure were made in good faith.

I do think that most of the pages so labelled should indeed be purged,
but you are certainly right that some should not.

Cheers
Mark

On 31/07/05, Ros' Haruo <rosharuo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I went to check on the state of my contributions to
> chr.wikipedia.org<http://chr.wikipedia.org>this morning and found the
> Main Page and 19 others have had their content
> replaced with a Speedy Deletion notice accompanied, in many but not all
> cases, by something along the lines of "Wrong language". Now it's true that
> much of the content in the Cherokee (better, Tsalagi) Wikipedia has been in
> English, and many of these pages doubtless needed culling, but to eliminate
> the Main Page (part of which was in Tsalagi) or several others (e.g. Europe
> ᎡᎶᏆ <http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%8E%A1%E1%8E%B6%E1%8F%86> and United
> States Supreme Court<http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Supreme_Court>)
> where the process of Tsalagisation was underway) strikes me as vandalistic.
>
> I have reverted the main page (several of whose sections should probably be
> eliminated and the rest fully tsalagised) and will look at restoring others
> that may have hope.
>
> I've been talking up Wikipedia in Tsalagi groups (e.g. Yahoo groups like
> Tsalagi and AniTsalagi_Language) trying to get folks to give up their
> Cherokee National fonts long enough to acquire Unicode so they can
> participate here, and I have been in negotiation with the Seattle Public
> Library to get them to add Cherokee Unicode fonts so I (and others) can
> participate here from the public access terminals, and I'm sorry but
> 217.44.22.219 <http://217.44.22.219>'s approach here is costly. In
> particular the speedy deletion of the Main Page of a Wikipedia that does
> have content strikes me as reprehensible, and to do so without replying to
> the disagreements voiced in the Talk Page is I don't know, what's a good
> NPOV term?
>
> Haruo = dzidzelalic @ chr:
>

> --
> Meet the Whole World Halfway — Learn and Use Esperanto!
> http://www.scn.org/~lilandbr/lang_tax.htmlhttp://lernu.net

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE