[Wikipedia-l] One Chinese - was nn (Norw. Nynorsk) wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 00:28:04 UTC 2004

Not to muck up the ongoing discussion regarding Nynorsk/Bokmål, on
which I have read a bit, but I'd like to point out something relevant
to the Chinese discussion.

Nynorsk and Bokmål are for the most part mutually intelligible. They
use basically exactly the same writing system.

Yet Nynorsk has recently been awarded its own Wikipedia which has
around 60 articles (vs the over 700 "legitimate" articles in the
database of zh-tw:); not that I disagree with that but that for
various reasons, no: who had previously believed they could cooperate
are now splitting. Very accurate computer conversion between the two
is possible and exists although it is not 100% accurate. Nynorsk and
Bokmål are close enough together that they wouldn't nessecarily even
need separate articles like Trad. and Simp. do ATM (pending the
implementation of the "solution" proposed by some of the Simplified
users) but could in most cases be in the same article, following a
similar policy to that of en: regarding US vs International English.

This is clearly a very sticky subject as is the other issue, but
ultimately it should be up to those raised using Nynorsk who use it in
their everyday lives who get to make the decision, not those who use
Bokmål.

Mark/Jin Junshu