[Wikipedia-l] Re: trust metrics

Andre Darmochwal ad at lucem.de
Tue Feb 17 03:55:47 UTC 2004

>So how's this: each user gets one "opinion" of each other user.  The
>opinions can be changed at any time.  An opinion is positive,
negative,
>or neutral.  The individual opinions are private, and accessible only
>by the users who hold them.  This encourages honesty and avoids flame
>wars.  Each user has a reputation rating based on other users'
opinions
>of them.  Opinions are weighted: opinions held by users with higher
>reputations have greater influence.

Wikipedias first task as an encyclopedia is starting new and improving
existing articles. So we should encourage users to edit and start
articles by including this actions in calculating the reputation of a
user. Perhaps this can be combined with the proposed article rating
system, as for 'good' rated articles resulting in a higher reputation
than 'worthless'-rated articles.

Regards,
Andre