[Wikipedia-l] Re: WikiGIS perhaps? (was: Mapping complement toWikipedia?)

Elly Waterman elly.waterman at wanadoo.nl
Sat Feb 28 07:51:31 UTC 2004

"Daniel Mayer" <maveric149 at yahoo.com> schreef
in bericht news:20040228035231.5119.qmail at web12826.mail.yahoo.com...
> Jeff Meyer wrote
> >The plan is to deliver an easily searchable repository (content &
searchable
> >clearinghouse) of quality map content to cover the entirety of human
> >history. Along with it would be a freely distributable, open source map
> >player. People could then link their existing maps, add modifications,
build
> >new map content, etc.

I also think that a wikiGIS would be the most up to date manner to set up a
site of maps. The problem is most users will not be aware of the enormous
power of GIS methods to produce and edit maps. It takes some time to getting
to know the software (but it can be done, even if you are above 40).

In the Netherlands, most GIS data are owned by publicly funded
organisations, but cannot be used freely. To the contrary these data a very
expensive.

Elly Waterman