[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Feb 24 09:15:32 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>But "never under any circumstances" doesn't strike me as a remotely
>plausible position.
>
>2.  The "hardliners" (of whom I count myself one) are hardliners in
>part because of a certain set of views on copyright.  These views
>ought to lead us to want to _expand_ the doctrine of fair use.
>Therefore, we *want* fair use, we want to rely on it, we want to use
>our position of influence to break down the myth that just because
>something is copyright, it's entirely untouchable.

This is consistent with my philosophies about law-abidance.  If you are
to be successful in expanding a concept it's going to be through working
in its murky and uncertain edges, rather than in the safe middle where
there is a certainty to the laws.  Goal-hugger is the most derogatory
term that can be applied in a game of hide-and-go-seek.

Ec