[Wikipedia-l] Fair Use material in Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Feb 24 01:27:41 UTC 2004

Sean Barrett wrote:

>I find this entire argument about "fair use" images annoying.  When I
>contacted Her Majesty's Stationery Office to inquire about the use of
>Crown Copyright material, I was told that Wikipedia could use that
>material as long as we used it accurately and not disparagingly -- no
>problem -- but that we also had to require that anyone else using it
>had to also comply with those restrictions.  Opinion was overwhelming
>that since we can't pass on those restrictions, even though we have no
>problem complying with them ourselves, we can't use the material.
>
>What's the difference?

This type of restriction seems reasonable.  I can't see why we can't
just tag the image as "subject to UK Crown Copyright" which links to a
page of ours that describes those restrictions.  This is a requirement
rather than a restriction; there is no need to put more into the meaning
of "require" than is already there.

Ec