[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Marco Krohn marco.krohn at web.de
Mon Feb 23 13:18:56 UTC 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 12:30, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> That's a pretty typical publicity still, and a guy like Bob Keeshan
> must have literally hundreds of these taken over the course of a
> lifelong career in show business.  The picture itself has very little
> commercial value in and of itself, and I can see no particular reason
> why Bob Keeshan's estate,
>
> or CBS (where his show appeared for 30 years)
>
> or one of the wire services (who might own photos of him taken
> at various public events)
>
> or some paparazzi with a huge collection
>
> might not want to make just one or two representative images available
> under a free license.
>
> We won't know until we try.

Absolutely right.

And this is one more thing that makes me a bit afraid about "fair use" images.
The motivation for writing one or two emails to get a really free image needs
a lot more effort and work than just taking the image and using it under
"fair use" doctrine.

In many situations, like the above for example, it could be a typical win-win
scenario. We could offer adding a "generously donated by foo" text to the
image and would get a free image in return.

best regards,
  Marco

--
Marco Krohn