[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Feb 20 14:53:15 UTC 2004

Jimmy-
> If the things that no longer exist are old enough, then any existing
> photographs will be public domain.  For things that are more recent,
> illustrations provide an excellent alternative.

Not really. Do you want to substitute the photo of Mother Teresa with
Charles Keating with an "illustration", a drawing? Not only would that be
extremely silly, it would probably be seen as a derivative work and
therefore still copyrighted. And it would give the upper hand to those who
want to get rid of this image, and other images like it, for political
reasons, give them yet another instrument of censorship.

Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo. When did the GNU bug bite you and turn you into a
zealot? We should subject each fair use image to an examination process in
which we seek to determine whether we can obtain an image by other means.
If that is so, we should try everything -- request permission, create our
own image etc. -- and leave the article without an image in the meantime.
This examination should be a group process like votes for deletion. For
example, I could upload an image and provide contact information, and
someone else would try to request permission from that person.

If everything else fails, however, it would be extraordinarily stupid not
to make use of the exemptions which copyright law explictly grants us (and
to those who keep claiming that no equivalent law exists in other
countries -- that's simply not true, most copyright laws have exemptions
for scientific and educational use, e.g. Sec. 51 of the German copyright
code). It would be a slap in the face of those who have been lobbying for
broader fair use provisions.

This process is without alternative. Anything else *will* split this
community.

Regards,

Erik