[Wikipedia-l] China WP access (was: What would Richard Stallman say?)

Sheng Jiong sheng.jiong at hotpop.com
Fri Feb 20 16:42:57 UTC 2004

Gareth Owen ??:

>"Andrew Lih" <alih at hku.hk> writes:
>

>>I don't want to let this stand without comment.  What is your source for
>>the fact that China "blocks much of wikipedia"?
>>

>I was under the impression that certain subject matters were blocked as a
>matter of course.
>Can http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_Gong or
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989
>be accessed?
>
>Incidentally the following is a perfect example of an image used under Fair
>Use provision : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tianasquare.jpg
>I think wikipedia would be much worse without it.

Yes, even the Chinese version of these articles is accessible. In fact,
most of the contents in these articles are contributed by Chinese
mainlanders. It is a strange misperception that the Chinese government
is blocking Wikipedia. Most contributers in Chinese Wikipedia are living
in mainland China presently.

[[User:Formulax]]