[Wikipedia-l] Re: trust metrics (Modified by Peter Jaros)

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Mon Feb 16 23:27:09 UTC 2004

I don't mean to be pushy, but I haven't seen any responses to my idea,
and I want to make sure people have seen it, since it contains some
elements others haven't brought up.  So here it is again; comments are
greatly appreciated. :)

Peter

---

On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:44 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Timwi wrote:
>
>> As has already been said, eBay doesn't have this problem because in
>> order to leave feedback you have to enter a transaction with the other
>> user. Edits don't make a good analogy because it's not a transaction
>> between two users who can then rate each other.
>
> Right, I agree that edits are not a good analogy to transactions.  We
> don't really have anything quite like a transaction.

So how's this: each user gets one "opinion" of each other user.  The
opinions can be changed at any time.  An opinion is positive, negative,
or neutral.  The individual opinions are private, and accessible only
by the users who hold them.  This encourages honesty and avoids flame
wars.  Each user has a reputation rating based on other users' opinions
of them.  Opinions are weighted: opinions held by users with higher
reputations have greater influence.

As a completely separate piece, I don't think that ratings, whatever
form they take, should be used to enforce limitations automatically.
These just seems too dangerous and un-wiki-like

Peter

                        A house without walls cannot fall.
           Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org