[Wikipedia-l] Re: image copyright

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 07:31:11 UTC 2004

Brion Vibber a écrit:
> On Feb 15, 2004, at 19:44, Anthere wrote:
>
>> By the way, is it okay that I relicense all the images I offered
>> wikipedia as copyright by Anthere with permission, with a link to my
>> user page, instead of under gfdl ?
>

> You can choose to allow that use _as well as_ the GFDL you've already
> agreed to. But, once given, I'm not sure you can withdraw the GFDL
> permission without cause. (IANAL!)
>
> Keep in mind that if you were to withdraw the GFDL license, the images
> would be removed from Wikipedia.

I have doubts. Many images are indicated copyrighted, but that the
author gave permission for use. And they are in Wikipedia.
When we wrote the images copyright pages with Alex, this case was
mentionned, and we have some images under that copyright. Again, we
think that it is better than no image at all, and better than image
under fair use.

So, where would be the difference ?

There is perhaps another possibility as well. That the description page
of the image contains automatically the name of who uploaded it. At
least, it would require that Anthony remove manually this information
from all description pages before being able to claim copyright on them.

>> Because, if I am glad to offer my images under gfdl as a recognised
>> author, I do not agree that my images are now registered as under
>> copyright by Anthony DiPierro, with my name gone, perhaps for him to
>> make money over my work.
>

> Please take that up with Mr. DiPierro.

Sure, I will contact a french lawyer, pay him 2 months worth salary, for
him to tell me in 2 years, that though I am the owner of the copyright,
I can sit on it, and look at someone else claiming he is.

What are my legal rights upon contents on a website hosted in another
country ? They are null, and I cannot do anything.
That is equal, we can just pretend there is no problem, but keep on
asking people to contribute freely their work under public domain at
least. It will be more honest.

>> I will now put all my images under copyright with permission for
>> Wikipedia only. But can I do it with the old images as well ?
>

> Giving permission to Wikipedia only won't satisfy Wikipedia's GFDL
> requirements for 3rd-party redistribution, so we'll have to remove any
> such images.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

We have thousand of images to remove then. Let's start now.