[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia public relations

Stephen Gilbert sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Fri Nov 21 11:44:39 UTC 2003

> Chuck Smith <msochuck at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I was thinking the other day that the goals of
> Wikipedia are in line with those of Unesco and I was
> wondering if we could somehow try to become officially
> connected with Unesco to gain a better reputation.  We
> might also be able to get significant financial grants
> from them in this way.

Looks good on the surface. However official connections with other
organizations may bring certain responsibilities and restrictions we
would be better off no dealing with. It's something to look into.

> Also, I think it would good if we could put the
> Wikipedia project and the Wikimedia foundation in the
> TakingItGlobal database which is a database for
> activists, so that we can connect.  TIG works as an
> umbrella organization for other non-profits.

Well, maybe. I don't know anything about TIG.

> I know people are going to yell at me, but I think
> Google AdSense would produce an incredible amount of
> money for the project.  We could show them to
> anonymous users and people who log in could turn them
> off if they wanted.  Well anyway, it's just a
> suggestion, don't bite my head off.

Yell, yell, rant, flame, etc, etc. No ads, please. It's not that I think
that all advertising in all forms is evil, but it's really nice to
have an ad-free space for everyone to work in. Plus, many people will
quit on principle. The possibility of advertising seems to have been a
major factor in the Spanish fork.

Stephen Gilbert