[Wikipedia-l] Re: Setting a new server in France for french wikipedia

Gustav Foseid gustavf at pvv.ntnu.no
Thu Nov 13 13:36:07 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:

> We are currently working on the trademark application for a US
> trademark, and although I know very little about it, I think that
> through treaties or whatever, that'd be all we need to have a
> worldwide trademark in most countries, including the EU countries.

IANAL and so on, but...

No, there is no such thing as a worldwide or global trademark
protection. You still need to apply for trademark registration in all
countries. The date you register your US trademark may have something
to say if others apply for a trademark for "Wikipedia" in any other
country than the US after you apply for the US trademark but before a
given date (some months after your US trademark) and you apply for a
trademark in the same country before the same date.

I am unsure if the EU is "one trademark contry", but I don't think so.

--
Gustav Foseid, Initio IT-løsninger AS
http://www.initio.no/