[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: Setting a new server in France for french wikipedia

Antoine thoane at altern.org
Wed Nov 12 01:08:38 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:52:27 -0800, Jimmy Wales wrote:
<snip>
> One example: in my research yesterday (admittedly limited) it is not
> possible to register wikipedia.fr unless we have a French
> organization.  I am as yet unsure if there are services (as there are
> for many countries) that will hold the name in trust for us.
>
> I wonder if perhaps ouvation can do that?
>
> (But, I do not know the politics of ouvation, nor whether they are
> trustworthy, so I only give them as an example.)
>
> --Jimbo

Hello Jimbo,

Unfortunatly the french NIC doesnt allow this kind of thing. Upon domain
registration you need to provide a document about your company / fundation
whatever and you can't register for a name that isn't the name of your
company.

Is wikipedia name registered as a trademark worldwide ? That might lead to
a wikipedia.tm.fr for france :0)

cheers,

--
Antoine