[Wikipedia-l] *cough* Wikimedia (was: "interlingual use of image")

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 04:41:56 UTC 2003

LDC wrote:
> Images should not be shared among Wikipedias. it is our goal
> to have each Wikipedia be complete and self-contained, except
> for links to the Internet at large. Disk space is cheap--if
> the same image appears in 10 wikis, then it should be uploaded
> 10 times and linked locally in each.  That way, when we make
> a backup of each wiki, each backup contains the whole content.

And how difficult would it be to add meta tags to each shared image for every
language that links to it? Not very I imagine (what links here already works
in a similar way). I already own Wikimedia.org (notice the "m") which would
be a great place to have a centralized media repository (and non-profit too,
BTW).

Hard drive space isn't the only resource to consider here; more important is
our human resources:

The way it is now somebody has to go to where the image is located, copy the
image onto their computer's hard drive, upload the image to a different
language, edit the image's description page and then link to the image in the
article.

But if we had a centralized media repository then all the user has to do is
make the wiki link. Done.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)