[Wikipedia-l] Do we need a new logo contest?

Menchi Zh-En WP ebeins at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 06:37:14 UTC 2003

I love Erik's logo that includes Wikification: [[ O ]]. I must say it's very
symbolic and realistic.

Re: Eric's points

1) Making those words intentionally hard-to-see seems suspicious somehow.
You have no idea how many times I tried to stick my eyeballs in front of the
screens in various WPs just to read them. Of course, all attempts failed.

2) Agreed.  It's not representative. To be honest, I have not heard of
Hobbes before I came to WP.  Not to undermine his importance, but his
philosophy is not just mentioned and definitely not taught in most Taiwanese
and Canadian schools.

3) Definitely, speaking from a Chinese WPian's point-of-view.

Re: Eric's recommendations

* I oppose alphabet letter used as the logo (OK in subtitle/captions/title,
however). It's too regional.
* Humans are not good, because their physical characteristics are too
obviously identifiable with an ethnicity.
* Non-human creature is good.
* Books are good.

I really would like to see Wikifcation symbols used. Maybe not black beside
yellow, though! ;-)

Menchi Zh-En