[Wikipedia-l] Chinese 'Pedia Admin, the Lack of

Menchi Zh-En WP ebeins at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:38:22 UTC 2003

Since the Chinese Wikipedia began over half a year ago, we have lacked any
sort of administrator. Brion VIBBER has been kindly helping us with
programming problems, but since he can't read Chinese characters, he is
unable to help us do the dirty work of cleaning up after vandalistic acts.

As we currently only have just over 200 articles, there is not much to
vandal on yet, but occasionally, repetitive vandals (mostly Anons, some
registered) grace us with annoying visits. Moreover, 2 or 3 bothersome
nonsensical (purposeful or experimental) "articles" occur daily, usually as
new articles, or worse, as additions or total replacements.

As the number of the articles increase (and it is swiftly), among other
things, more unpleasantness -- some of which we have experienced -- will
surely arrive, unfortunately. We would like to be ready for that approaching
time whose front. Discussions between existing contributors led to the
recommendation of the following five candidates, who, based on their past
actions and communications, are all deemed responsible, objective, and
therefore qualified to be Wikipedia administrators:

* Formulax of Shanghai and Singapore (966 edits since November 2002):
Biographies, philosophy, art history, international relations, etc.
* Lorenzarius of Hong Kong (569 ed. since February 2002): Mainlander
administrations (especially provincial-level), meta-documents, etc.
* Menchi of Canada and Taiwan (472 ed. since February 2002): North American
societies, overseas Chinese, Korean studies, etc.

And two impressively gung ho newbies:

* Samuel of Canton (656 ed. since May 2002): language, education, zoology,
pathology, geography, mathematics, European societies, etc.
* Shizhao of Beijing (831 ed. since May 2002): mineralogy, classical
literature, pre-modern technology, chemistry, etc.

Together, the five above made about 60% of all existing edits on the Chinese
Wikipedia.

The potential administrators represent a variety of interest, and not the
bias of a particular ideology or region or ancestry:

* Two of the above contributors use traditional Chinese, three simplified.
* Two overseas, three "internal".
* Two are raised in Cantonese environment, two Mandarin, one Wu.
* Four are bilingual in English, one Russian. Tertiary languages include
French, Spanish and German.
* Several have been active in the English Wikipedia, such as Menchi, the
63rd most active contributor there.

The last two contributors are admittedly new, but their extensive work
should show their ability and personality.

None of us know each other personally, so these nominations were based
purely on professional understanding. There are additional good writers, but
they have not yet demonstrated an overwhelming enthusiasm or a desire to
maintain the program and protect it from vandal destruction, so they were
not included in the final list above.

We would like to improve this young project and help it grow. In order to do
that, we should be able to serve the cause of Wikipedia easier and faster.
And we believe that administratorship can allow us to achieve that goal.

-- Menchi