[Wikipedia-l] About copyright violations

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Wed Jul 30 11:31:46 UTC 2003

on 7/29/03 8:32 PM, David Grant at david.grant at telus.net wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I would like the template for every article to be altered, to include
> something similar to the following: "This is licensed under GFDL...if
> you with to copy this article, go ahead...but you are required to
> provide a link to the GFDL... and you are required to link back to the
> original article..."  That is essence of what needs to be added to the
> template for every Wikipedia article.  This is in order to stop the
> ripping of Wikipedia articles without full copyright/license compliance.

This is what I-E does and it offers the added advantage that it is then very
convenient for an editor on I-E to go back to the Wikipedia article, copy it
then put in on I-E then using history of the article see in detail all the
various changes which have occured during the Wikipedia edits since the
original copy was made. Then you can do a revert, keep the new copy, or do
whatever editing of one or the other version as may be required to make the
best article possible. This technique can also be used to advantage by the
proposed Sifter site for easy evaluation of whether the continued evolution
of the article on Wikipedia can be shifted over to it.

Fred Bauder

http://www.internet-encyclopedia.org