[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l digest, Vol 1 #1249 - 14 msgs

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Mon Jul 28 17:46:49 UTC 2003

>What I'm most worried about is that Wikipedia will lose contributors, because
>most of them won't get a choice to decide what's in the "real" encyclopedia
>and therefore lose interest. The closer (the more "officially") Nupedia is
>associated with Wikipedia, the less interesting it will be to spend time for
>Wikipedia, because everything one is doing there is just the "foreplay" for
>the "real thing" Nupedia.

This might be fixed if there's some more automated way of adding
articles to the 'stable' version of the encyclopedia.  All potential
solutions require more software, but there's a number of them (which is
better I'm not sure yet).  One of the many would be to have a process
similar to the way Debian's distribution works (with regards to
'testing' vs. 'unstable') -- all revisions articles automatically get
promoted to the stable version after some period of time (a week?  two
weeks?), unless someone marks it as "not ready for stable".  Then
presumably there could be some process by which either that mark can be
removed, or it can be overridden by a consensus of everyone else.

But really I think something more automated like this is necessary,
because I don't think the Brilliant Prose page is every going to have
15,000 articles on it, and even if it does, will be impossible to keep
up to date.

-Mark