[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l digest, Vol 1 #1249 - 14 msgs

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Mon Jul 28 16:30:20 UTC 2003

on 7/28/03 10:08 AM, sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca at sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca wrote:

> Daniel Mayer wrote:
>
>> Ulrich Fuchs wrote:
>>> With an "official" cannibalization of Wikipedia arcticles for
>>> Nupedia articles there would be no content - people do not
>>> like it to write without being acknowledged.
>>
>> What are you talking about? By law the Nupedia article would have to give
>> full credit to Wikipedia and have a link back. Our content is already
>> being used in many, many other places as well - this is not cannibalism.
>> That is the whole point of the GNU FDL - re-usability of the text.
>
> I think what Ulrich is most worried about is he doesn't want a
> stable encyclopedia to be a fork. This can be easily avoid by puting
> a link to the current Wikipedia article on hte Nupedia version,
> labeled "Edit the latest version of this article".
>
> Stephen G.

Perhaps "Compare the latest version of this article"

Our articles do go downhill from time to time, but generally get better and
more detailed. But perhaps too detailed from time to time. With a deal like
this you need to check every month or so and see what's happening with the
article and if it is better bring it over to the stable version.

Fred Bauder

http://www.internet-encyclopedia.org