[Wikipedia-l] PNG format???

Ralphem at aol.com Ralphem at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 01:11:07 UTC 2003

Eric,
There is a basic problem with your logo, logo contest, and use of art in
general -- a good number of us out here cannot see them! ALL of the art on your
pages discusssing the logo contest come up with a red X in place of the art. You
discuss the fact that you want all logo designs in PNG format, but this is a
format that not all systems (Mac) and not all browsers (AOL 5.0, the only
software available for older Power PC Macs) support -- so you are cutting out a
sizeable portion of potential viewership. I'm a graphic designer, but I've never
used, nor have I had to use, PNG format for any image. TIF, JPEG, GIF and EPS
are the standards for graphics, and JPEG AND GIF are the standards for use on
the web when people with non-graphic software or systems need to view them.
One of the guiding principles in the development of the web has been to honor
the common person, probably one using an older computer with unsophisticated
software, and not freeze them out by demanding they constantly download the
latest "fireworks" or whatever in order to just view a common page. Backward
compatibility is an important concept, and is worth keeping whenever possible. Most
of us are still using dialup 56K modems out in the world -- web entities that
load up their pages with sophisticated cutting-edge animations and hi-res
long-loading photos and art are virtually assured of loosing me and millions of
others as potential viewers. Same thing applies with your art -- coding your
artwork in PNG format closes out a lot of potential viewers -- put them JPEG and
your viewership and useability will increase. Take a look a Amazon.com or any
other highly successful web business -- their pages open just as pretty in my
Mac as they do in the latest Pentium blazer, and they don't use advanced
formats. Let's keep it low tech -- PNG is an unnecessary complication for the
project. Thanks for listening.
Ralph McGeehan
ralphem at aol.com