[Wikipedia-l] New stuff on test.wiki

Andre Engels engels at uni-koblenz.de
Tue Jul 22 10:27:06 UTC 2003

On 21 Jul 2003, Erik Moeller wrote:

> 1) The default skin has been somewhat modified. I made the borders
> thinner, and added a box around the footer to separate it from the article
> contents.

I like this one.

> The font size of navigational links is also somewhat smaller,
> and the background color for non-article pages (special pages) has been
> changed to a light metallic blue.

I do agree the yellow is not very good, but I don't like this one either.

> 2) You now get a "Post a comment" link on discussion pages. This takes you
> to an empty edit screen with a subject line. The subject line is used as
> an edit summary and is added as a ==headline== on top of the edit. The
> edit is appended to the current page.

Not sure whether I like this one.

> 3) There's now a cool way to edit sections: Instead of having ugly [edit]
> links next to each one, you can enable a user preference whereby you can
> edit sections by right-clicking on them. This only works in Mozilla and IE
> to my knowledge.

Worked with Netscape 6 under Unix/Xwindows as well, but strangely not the
first time I tried (I got a database error). Bug could not be replicated.

> 4) The Table of Contents can now be suppressed by adding the text
> "__NOTOC__" anywhere on a page. Note also that Brion and I wrote a
> JavaScript that allows you to dynamically show/hide the TOC on the page.
> The TOC itself has been slightly changed, with smaller font and a centered
> headline.
>
> Please report any bugs or objections, otherwise the current version of the
> code on test.wiki will replace the live version running all wikis soon.

Those lines below the section headers are really ugly. Please get rid of them
before you even think of putting these on the sites.

I do agree with previous posters that the smaller article title is not
an improvement.

Andre Engels