[Wikipedia-l] Storing "source code" for diagrams in the Wikipedia?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk at mira.net
Mon Jul 21 13:18:33 UTC 2003

I've been working on creating diagrams for the playing arenas of various
sports (for instance see
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football), using sodipodi
(an SVG editor) and then exporting to PNG.

It seems to me that it would be useful for the purposes of future editing
if people had access to my SVG files.  At the moment, if people want
to change the diagram they either have to ask me to make the changes, mail
me for a copy of the SVG, or try the hack of modifying the exported bitmap
on the site.

Obviously, I could upload the SVG source, but is this appropriate (we don't do
this for any other type of file because of the bandwidth and storage issues)
but where would be an appropriate place to put it?

So, basically, I'm raising the topic of whether and how we should handle
"source files" for media we place in the Wikipedia.

                                           Robert Merkel
                                          rgmerk at mira.net
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
                -- Albert Einstein
They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.  But they
also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                -- Carl Sagan