[Wikipedia-l] Wikis and uniformity

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 00:00:42 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote:
>However, if we start going toward "uniformity",
>setting all new projects based upon english
>choices, and ask other projects to fit in the
>resulting frame later on is not likely to be very
>appealing :-)

Just because the current project isn't internationalized doesn't mean that the
needs of future non-English versions are not important or that the English
version will enforce all standards. That is just silly paranoia.

My point is that the English version doesn't even know what it wants to be yet
- let's focus on developing those basic parameters and then other-language
versions can be spun-off based on the /general/ theme developed for the first
project.

This is how Wikipedia was developed and IMO it has been very successful; the
different language versions are distinct enough to meet the needs of those
languages while similar enough to be one project called Wikipedia.

The same should be the case for Wikibooks.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)