[Wikipedia-l] Revenue and ISBN Links

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Jul 10 20:37:16 UTC 2003

> Oliver Pereira wrote:
> > I think it is very likely that more people will buy from Amazon if they
> > think they will be helping Wikipedia by doing so. And so Amazon will
> > quite likely make more profits.
>
> Well, I think all the booksellers offer some kind of commissions
> program.  Nearly all do, anyway, I guess we'd have to check each one
> of them to be sure about the exact details.
>
> --Jimbo

True. However, since all of these programs require a minimum
amount earned in your account before they send you a cheque, it
doesn't make much sense to have a page full of commissions
links. People generally make very little money on these programs;
in our case we would have to spread our tiny commission over a
half a dozen or more booksellers, thus ensuring that we never meet
the minimum payment amount for any one of them.

It looks to me that we really only have two choices:

1. Join a single program, or
2. Don't join any at all (which would have the same finacial effect as
joining all of them, while avoiding the problems).

Option one is unacceptable to me (and many others, I think)
because it takes away our neutrality, at least in appearance.

- Stephen G.
-------
Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org