[Wikipedia-l] possible security issue

steve vertigo utilitymuffinresearch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 16:38:02 UTC 2003

 Nevertheless, I have just discovered that
> the computers I
> have been using now long me on automatically.  I do
> not really care
> that someone might end up using my own user name in
> the future, we can
> sort it out then.

>But since I am a sysop I am very
> concerned about the
> potential security breach.  Anyone going to
> Wikipedia from this
> terminal, it seems, will automatically log on as me,
> and have the
> ability to delete pages and ban users.

Change your password - often, if you use public
machines.  Then the most imporant thing is to clean
the cache afterward.  Take an extra minute, shut down
whatever browser used -- usually explorer.. and then
restart it to make sure you cant get back on. This
kind of thing happens with email all the time.. I can
tell how many times Ive emailed people (from their own
accounts) telling them to pull their pants up....:)