[Wikipedia-l] Please help test new features

James D. Forrester james at jdmf.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 11:50:37 UTC 2003

On Friday, 04th July, 2003, at 10:31, Tarquin wrote:

> Daniel Mayer wrote:

[Snip]

> > It would be /real/ nice to be able to disable the TOC on a page by
page
> > basis.
>
> Better the other way round: *request* it on a page-by-page basis.

Indeed. As I see it, right now, to avoid the mess created by a TOC which
is
inapplicable in many situations, an editor either has to know how to
disable
said TOC, or (often substantially) refactor the article; both of these
form
an imposition on the editor. Personally, I think TOCs should be a
visibly
available and recommended feature, *but* should not be enabled by
default.
There are too many articles to implement such a one-size-fits-all
policy.

On the semi-related note of inter-article sub-linking ([[a#x]]) as
opposed
to intra-article sub-linking ([[#x]]), I also think that having support
for
this (the former) is a Bad Thing(tm); given that we are so set against
it
being used, adding the deprecated functionality to the system is
(highly)
illogical, IMO.

[Snip]

Yours,