[Wikipedia-l] Please help test new features

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Jul 2 20:33:47 UTC 2003

The Cunctator wrote:
> > We need to find the right balance between making editing easy and making
> > reading Wikipedia unobtrusive. Some work on this is being done in the Skin
> > department, for example, where we will probably end up with a Skin
> > preferred by editors, and one that is more friendly to non-editing users.
>
> This would be a terrible violation of the basic Wiki-nature of Wikipedia.

I'm not sure it's as dramatic as all that.  As long as readers can
jump right in and start editing, there's no un-wiki-ness.  Possibly
the default behavior could be that you're in read mode (which looks
the way it looks now) until you edit, and then some rearrangements are
made to suit the fact that you're editing.

I'm not sure what's right exactly, but I think that thinking in terms
of 'editing skins' and 'reading skins' isn't a terrible violation of
wikiness.