[Wikipedia-l] Please help test new features

Mark Christensen mchristensen at humantech.com
Wed Jul 2 20:25:51 UTC 2003

> > We need to find the right balance between making editing easy and
> > making reading Wikipedia unobtrusive. Some work on this is being
done
> > in the Skin department, for example, where we will probably end up
> > with a Skin preferred by editors, and one that is more friendly to
> > non-editing users.

> This would be a terrible violation of the basic Wiki-nature of
Wikipedia.

No it wouldn't.  Anybody can use any skin they want!  The idea is only
to give people tools optimized for use.  Readers and casual editors
don't want confusing and redundant links.  Long time editors don't mind
trading increased learning curve for more functionality, and the
potential to do what they want with one or two less clicks.

Making wikipedia easier to use for everybody isn't a terrible violation
of basic wiki-nature, it's just being nice to users.  And, that -- in my
opinion -- is a just a good idea.

--Mark Christensen